DID YOU KNOW ?
- The Seine river flows at 2 km/ hour.
- The 1st traffic light dates from 1923, and was installed at the crossroad Strasbourg Saint Denis.
- The Arc de Triomphe was the 1st roundabout in the world !
- 30 species of fish live in the Seine river.
- The Paris pavements, the famous " pavés" were made of wood before being stone.
- The Pompadour, who had a strong craving for diamonds, lies forever under the Place Vendôme in a chapel which has now disappeared.
- The choice of settlement for the BHV was made over an umbrella.
Its founder, a bloke named Ruel, had placed stalls selling umbrellas and other items in different sites of Paris . The best sales went on at the corner of rue des Archives and rue de Rivoli.
So, that's where he decided to build his empire. Smart guy !